Sexual health covers many aspects of an individual’s physical and emotional well-being concerning sex and sexuality and is just as important as your physical, emotional, and cognitive well-being.
The medical team at Halekulani Medical Center offers a personalized approach and can assist you with any concern regarding your sexual health in a professional, caring and confidential environment. Whether it is for STD checks, Contraception advice, Emergency contraception, Halekulani Medical Centre is happy to assist you.
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD) spread via sexual activities. Many STDs have little to none specific symptoms which make them hard to detect. Since most STDs do not exhibit signs of sickness in early stages it is very important to get to the GP for regular check-ups, even if you feel fine.
Emergency Contraception helps avoid pregnancy right after unprotected sex. ECP and copper IUD are common prescriptions that you may take until up to 3 days. Book an immediate appointment to prevent pregnancy and get emergency contraception if:
- you had unprotected sex
- You experienced contraception failures such as condom splits
- You lost track of your pills
- you vomit or have diarrhea while on pills
- you missed your hormonal injections
Halekulani Medical Centre can help you choose the right emergency contraception. Depending upon your sexual activity, and preferences, our medical team will bring the best recommendations for you.
Our highly experienced medical practitioners will help you pick the right contraception method for yourself to prevent unplanned pregnancy. The following are some of the different contraception methods that our nurses and GP may walk you through.
- Long-acting reversible contraception as the name indicates, Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) is a contraceptive that prevents pregnancy for a long time. These contraceptives are also known as the ‘fit and forget’ contraception. It is because it does not require attention now and then. Studies reveal that LARC has an efficiency of 99% for pregnancy prevention. The Mirena IUD and the Implanon are some examples of LARC contraceptives.
- Hormonal Contraception Hormonal contraceptives make use of hormones to avoid unwanted pregnancies. Pills (92% success rate) and the Depo Provera injection (97% success rate) are some known examples of this contraceptive type.
- Barrier Methods: do not let sperm enter the vagina. Most commonly known and used, condoms are common barrier methods used as contraceptives. Condoms also protect you from STDs. Head over to your local store or pharmacy to get a condom. Discover the types and use the one which works the best for you and your partner.